Connect with us

Pakistan

‘Special’ security plan devised for Islamabad after suicide attack

Published

on

  • Islamabad Police set up 25 security check posts.
  • Safe city cameras to record Red Zone entrances. 
  • Metro bus service passengers’ video will also be recorded.

After a suicide attack that rocked the federal capital, the Islamabad Police Tuesday issued a “special security plan” considering the current security situation.

While sharing the plan on Twitter, the law enforcement agency said that at least 25 temporary security check posts have been established at different locations in Islamabad. 

The authorities will be using safe city cameras to record Red Zone entrances while the metro bus service passengers’ video will also be recorded.

The police requested the residents and foreigners to carry their identification documents. The residents were also advised to use excise office issued number plates on vehicles. 

“Legal action will be taken against illegal number plates and unregistered vehicles,” warned the police. 

The citizens have also been advised to register tenants and employees at the nearest police station or khidmat markaz. Citizens employing unregistered local or foreign workers will also be investigated, it further said. 

The police urged citizens to report any unusual activity on their helpline 15.

Foreign missions issue advisories  

Since the suicide attack in Islamabad, multiple foreign missions have advised their citizens and staff to limit their movement due to the security situation in the city. 

The Saudi embassy has issued a security alert for its citizens in Pakistan, advising them to remain careful and limit their movement.

While the Australian high commissioner also said officials in Islamabad have been advised to increase vigilance and limit travel within the city.

A few other embassies have also advised their staff and citizens to restrict their movement for some time during the ongoing holidays, particularly until Jan 1.

On Sunday, the US Embassy in Islamabad advised its mission personnel to avoid “non-essential and unofficial” travel in the federal capital throughout the holiday season days after the suicide attack.

In a statement, the embassy said that the directions have been issued in light of Islamabad being placed on high alert due to security concerns.

“As Islamabad has been placed on a Red Alert citing security concerns while banning all public gatherings, the embassy is urging all Mission personnel to refrain from non-essential, unofficial travel in Islamabad throughout the holiday season,” the statement stated.

The embassy also advised its staff to exercise vigilance at events, places of worship and avoid locations with large crowds, review their security plans, be aware of their surroundings, carry identification, follow requests from law enforcement, and monitor local media for updates.

Suicide attack

The alerts were issued after a suicide attacker, riding a cab, blew himself up when four bike-riding cops of Eagle Squad intercepted the car at Sector I-10/4 — sending the federal capital into a frenzy.

As a result of the blast, a police official was martyred, while seven — including a policeman and civilians were injured — police told the media. Later, a joint investigation team (JIT) was formed to probe the suicide bombing.

There has been a rise in terror incidents across the country — especially in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa — after the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban (TTP) ended its ceasefire with Islamabad last month.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Elections

After a recount, PML-N keeps its seat in the Balochistan Assembly.

Published

on

By

The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) was able to hold onto a seat in the Balochistan Assembly following a vote recount.

With a margin of 1919 votes, Muhammad Khan Lehri of the PML-N defeated Ghulam Rasool Imrani of the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) to win PB-14 Nasirabad.

The Returning Officer (RO) reports that Ghulam Rasool Imrani of the PPP received 18787 votes, while Muhammad Khan Lehri received 20706 votes.

The PPP candidate contested the results, which prompted a vote recount request. Prior to this, on February 19, the PML-N narrowly prevailed in a vote recount to hold onto a seat in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly by 186 votes.

Sardar Shah Jahan of the PML-N defeated independent Shakoor Naumani, who was sponsored by Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), in PK-40 Mansehra. The Returning Officer (RO), acting on a request from the independent candidate supported by the PTI, ordered the recounting of results for 173 polling stations. Sardar Shah Jehan received 43104 votes, and Shakoor Naumani, who was endorsed by the PTI, received 42918.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Rahat Faeth Ali Khan receives a clean sheet from FIA

Published

on

By

According to the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), there is no proof that well-known musician Rahat Fateh Ali Khan has engaged in any illicit behaviour, including money laundering or tax evasion.

Since there is no proof of any wrongdoing, the FIA has declared that it has completed its investigation into the popular singer’s alleged money-laundering and tax evasion case.

According to the recommendations made by the field inquiry unit, which suggested closing the investigation into Khan, the competent authority has approved the closure of the investigation into Rahat Ali Khan and other individuals, as confirmed by the Additional Director of the Federal Investigation Agency’s Lahore Zone.

The data that are now accessible include no information that would link Rahat Fateh Ali Khan to any illicit money smuggling operations.

The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Lahore has said that an investigation was opened in January of this year against Rahat Ali Khan and 182 other regular passengers who were leaving Lahore International Airport to find employment overseas. According to the report, information on frequent passengers served as the impetus for this inquiry, which had as its primary goal finding anybody engaged in money laundering or currency smuggling.

It is important to note that, based on their travel history, the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) opened a money laundering and tax evasion investigation against well-known musician Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and others.

According to the FIA, the Deputy Director of Immigration at Allama Iqbal International Airport in Lahore supplied the information on 182 travellers. As a result, the investigation was started to find any regular travellers involved in cash smuggling or money laundering.

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan has paid taxes on all of his local and foreign income, according to sources at the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) and the Federal Institute of Agriculture (FIA).

Continue Reading

Law

A challenge to the Aurat March was dismissed by the Lahore High Court.

Published

on

By

The Lahore High Court rendered a decision on the appeal filed by citizen Azam butt about the prohibition on the Aurat March.

Deputy Commissioner Lahore and other parties were added as parties to the application.

The petitioner voiced worry that the peace and order situation would get worse as a result of the women’s march. According to the petitioner, Islamic society does not tolerate the banners and placards from the Aurat March.

The petitioner claims that the Constitution protects women’s rights and that initiatives are taken to enhance the welfare of women. The state must stop promoting the Aurat March in an immoral manner.

The court postponed making a ruling after rejecting the petition as inadmissible after hearing the opening statements. The ultimate ruling was rendered by Justice Shahid Karim.

Continue Reading

Trending