Connect with us

Politics

Nawaz Sharif urges govt to plan low-cost electricity for poor

Published

on

  • Plan to target utilisation of up to 300 electricity units.
  • Nawaz’s directs to ensure relief for poor consumers.
  • Dastgir brief’s PML-N supremo on renewable energy projects.

Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) supremo Nawaz Sharif on Monday directed to devise a low-cost electricity consumption plan for utilisation of up to 300 units, Minister for Energy Khurram Dastgir said speaking with journalists in London, United Kingdom.

The federal minister, after his meeting with the three-time prime minister, said that the purpose of such a plan is the provision of relief to the poor people.

The PML-N supremo also received a briefing about renewable energy projects while the country’s overall political situation also came under discussion, Dastgir added.

“We request Nawaz Sharif to come to Pakistan soon, and bring the country on the highway of development,” the minister said.

Commenting on the possibility of assembly dissolution in Punjab during his conversation with journalists, Dastgir said that it is most likely that the Punjab assembly will survive.

Earlier today, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif also directed relevant officials not to impose any additional burden on gas and electricity consumers.

FCA for KE consumers

Earlier this month, the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA) approved reduction of Rs2.45 per unit for K-Electric (KE) consumers on account of fuel cost adjustment (FCA) for electricity consumed in October, changes of which will reflect in December’s bills.

In its notification for adjustment in electricity rates of KE, NEPRA said the negative FCA — a system by which the price of electricity is adjusted as fuel prices fluctuate — would be applicable to all consumer categories except:

  • Lifeline consumers
  • Domestic consumers using up to 300 units
  • Agriculture consumers
  • Electric vehicle charging stations

Latest News

The IHC upholds Bushra Bibi’s request to be transferred from Bani Gala to Adiala Jail.

Published

on

By

Bushra Bibi’s request to be transferred from Bani Gala to Adiala Jail was granted by the Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Thursday.

The former first lady Bushra Bibi’s application to be transferred from Bani Gala sub-jail to Adiala was heard today.

Details reveal that the Islamabad High Court heard a motion to restore the denied petition about the relocation of Bushra Bibi, the wife of PTI founder, from sub-jail Bani Gala to Adiala.

The application for the reinstatement of appeal was heard by Justice Miagul Hassan Aurangzeb. When state attorney Abdul Rehman entered the courtroom on behalf of the state, Usman Riaz Gill represented the former first lady.

State counsel did not object to the appeal being restored during court proceedings. At the following hearing, the court asked for assistance in determining what conditions must be met for a location to be designated as a sub-jail.

The court also mandated that Bushra Bibi’s medical examination be scheduled. The court subsequently delayed the hearing and gave instructions to fix the appeal for April 22.

Recall that the attorneys for former first lady Bushra Bibi, Barrister Salman Safdar, Usman Riaz Gill, and Khalid Yusuf Chaudhary, had filed an application to restore the dismissed appeal a day ago, but the Islamabad High Court had denied their request to pursue the case.

The petition contended that the traffic gridlock at the Sarina Chowk checkpoint was the reason for the delay in getting to the court.

The attorneys did not purposefully take their time getting to court. They warned that the petitioner would suffer irreversible loss if the petition was not resurrected.

IHC Justice Miangul Hassan Aurangzeb has voiced his displeasure at the absence of attorneys from the court.

According to Judge Aurangzeb, the former first lady would have been imprisoned if Bushra Bibi’s attorneys had prevailed in this case. The attorneys themselves were opposed to Bushra Bibi’s incarceration.

Continue Reading

Latest News

oath-taking ceremony for the Balochistan cabinet postponed

Published

on

By

The Balochistan cabinet’s oath-taking ceremony, which was supposed to take place at the Governor’s House today (Thursday), has been rescheduled.
The Governor’s House spokeswoman announced that the Balochistan cabinet’s swearing-in event has been postponed. Nevertheless, there was no explanation provided for the ceremony’s postponement.

It is important to note that the 14-member Balochistan cabinet, which consists of two members from the Balochistan Awami Party (BAP) and six ministers from the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) was set to take the oath of office today, Thursday.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Senior PML-N leaders want the X ban lifted.

Published

on

By

A veteran party leader and former railways minister, Khawaja Saad Rafique, claimed the caretaker government’s social media ban didn’t help anyone.

Saad Rafique warned his party’s present government to avoid becoming a laughing stock since politics requires political moves.

“Bans and prohibitions come where dictatorship prevails over democracy,” PML-N veteran Javed Abbasi remarked of the social media ban.

“Can we ban matches factories fearing they ignite fire?” he asked. He said, “We scare of truth and try to keep it under the veil.”

He called the PML-N administration cruel for banning free speech.

The Interior Ministry said the Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Wednesday that X, formerly Twitter, needed to be banned since it violated Pakistani legislation.

Interior Secretary Khurram Agha reported on the high court’s rulings on the social media ban petition for the ministry.

Social networking site X was down for two months in Pakistan when the hearing took place.

Continue Reading

Trending